Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Today I installed Solaris 10 on my Sony Vaio Laptop. It reminded me of having a blood test. Not particularly painful, but unpleasant. I felt relief when it was over.

Why did I do this? Well, many sources tell me there are millions of downloaded copies of Solaris, but are they getting used? Did they morph from download to install, with a potential to become a support subscription? From my experience this "path to profit" could be easier. For example, I would have liked more options to change my installation choices, and a clearer explanation of what the installer was waiting for when things appeared to stall. To summarize: "good work but could do better".

On the upside, OpenSolaris is looking very tasty indeed, with its hugely important ZFS filesystem and BrandZ containers for RedHat Linux. The sooner this becomes production-ready, the sooner the Linux wave moves over to Solaris.

1 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Blogger Jason said...

I was not sure to expect when I came across your blog. Well I think the information on this blog is terrific. I have my own blog site and I wish I got half as many great comments as your blog does. Anyways, I am a teacher at a middle school and I am always doing research on various topics. This weeks topic relates 90% to your blog. I already bookmarked you for future use. If you want to exchange information I will leave my url at the bottom of this. If you don�t mind I will add my 2 cents to this blog topic once in awhile. Although most of the time I just like to read and see what other people�s thoughts are! (hey I am a teacher!)
Thanks again!toshiba satellite notebook computer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home